The illustration below shows how the information flow on Skisporet.no:
- Satellites transmit radio signals.
- Groomer / ATV / Snowmobile with installed GPS receives radio signals from satellites and calculates position (3-5 meters accuracy) on vehicle for every 25 meters vehicle moves in the terrain. Location data is transmitted via wireless data transmission via GPRS and / or 4G.
- Location data is received by base stations which forward data to Skisporet.no cloudserver platform.
- Location data is received by Skisporet.no cloudserver platform which processes position data and makes this available at the correct ski resort and associated digitized trailmap.
- End user receives updated preparation information on Skisporet.no PC or mobile (web and app)
When a new ski resort is established at Skisporet.no, an initial job has to be done to digitize ski trails.
Trails displayed to the end user are actual ski trails and not other preparation shown with yellow colour in the picture below. This could be:
- Other driving on cultivated land
- Other cross-country skiing
- Other driving biathlon facilities
- Other driving on the road
- Other off-road driving
Update of preparation information
The picture below shows the position data as blue dots from 1.1.2018 where the groomer passed track A at 10:09:06 and track D at 10:11:11.
Inaccuracy of the GPS position (3-5 meters) and some changes in driving pattern may occur and each running segment is therefore set up with default 25 meter "buffer" (marked with red dashes below) to capture inaccuracy and minor changes in driving pattern. See image below illustrating this.
The trail segment will still be updated as "buffer" tolerates position inaccuracy and minor changes in driving pattern.
Ski trails in open areas of the mountains, cultivated land where driving patterns change
In areas where snow conditions vary, driving patterns may change over time.
Trails in such areas can be set up with a larger "buffer" to increase the tolerance limit on the trail. For example, 100 meters.
We also recommend using the Skisporet.no app and My position function for navigation in open areas and in poor visibility.